One thing you may not know about me is that I have my Masters in Health Promotion, which means that I am a little OCD about ingredients (Food, Skincare, Drinks, you name it!). I spend WAY too long grocery shopping & picking out my skincare because I sit there and read the ingredient list of every item like a crazy person. The scary truth is most major companies spend all their money in marketing and not so much in making sure the ingredients are safe. I have decided to share with you some of the ingredients I look out for as well as my fave skin care line that doesn’t have ANY of these.
Here are the main 5 ingredients I look for when reading labels and will put back any product that contains even just one of them:
Parabens. A lot of brands have already caught onto this one and are including “paraben- free” on the packaging, which is amazing. BUT, there are still so many that still include it… so read the label and make sure this isn’t in there! Paraben is a preservative that can interfere with your body’s hormones, especially estrogen. In studies, researchers have found parabens are linked to fertility issues, developmental disorders and have been found in breast cancer tumors. Parabens are most commonly labeled like this on labels: methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, butylparaben and benzylparaben.
Hydroquinone. This chemical is usually found in anti-aging creams and known to lighten the skin. Over time, use of this chemical actually results in pretty serious skin problems and more serious health issues. This chemical actually decreases the production of melanin in the skin making your skin weaker & more prone to skin cancer. It also weakens the elastin and collagen in your skin making more serious skin problems appear! The FDA actually considers hydroquinone a potentially dangerous substance….. however, skincare companies are “confident” that it is safe as long as it is in small amounts. I just prefer not to take the risk. In Europe, this ingredient is actually banned for over counter sales.
Phthalates. In the past few years, phthalates have been linked to asthma, breast cancer, obesity, autism, male fertility issues and have been found to act as a hormone disrupter. They have been banned in Europe and cause birth defects in lab animals. What is tricky about this ingredients is that for some reason it doesn’t have to be listed on the label…it is commonly hidden under the term “fragrance”
Benzoyl Peroxide. I used to use this a lot for my skin before I read that it has been linked to the promotion of tumor growth. It actually products toxic effects to your body just by breathing this chemical in. SO, I just stay away from it now.
Triclosan. This chemical is actually a pesticide…. WHY would anyone want to put that on their face? It is supposed to kill bacteria on your face, but there are way better ways to do that. ANYWAY, I would suggest staying away from it. It has been shown to cause hormone and thyroid issues.
WHAT TO BUY:
When I find a brand I love that doesn’t contain ANY of these ingredients, I stick with it. Luzern Skincare is one of those brands! It actually works and it is SAFE for your skin. Here are some of the items I recommend:
- Micro-Exfoliant or their Gel Cleanser – Combines micro-fine jojoba beads and an infusion of Bio-Suisse certified organic botanicals to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve hydration, clear clogged pores, and enhance luminosity.
- Serum Absolut Firming Collagen Booster – The ultimate “youth-keeping” serum
- Force De Vie Pure Oxygen Lotion (for the day) – Force De Vie restores the “Life Force” to skin by optimizing three skin-vital functions: cellular energy, moisture balance, and nutrient utilization for a fresh, healthy-looking, radiant complexion…everyday.
- Force De Vie Créme Nuit (at Night only) Boosts cellular oxygen uptake to increase collagen and hyaluronic acid synthesis and promote microcirculation to enhance skin luminosity
- Force De Vie Eye Contour Créme – Intensive anti-wrinkle, anti-puffiness eye creme
A full daily regimen always consists of cleansing, targeting, and moisturizing. Exfoliation should be done 1-3 times a week depending on your skin type. Follow these steps each morning and night for optimal results.
- Cleanse your skin as normal.
- To exfoliate (1-3 times per week), swap out your normal cleanser for our Micro-Exfoliant. Mix a small amount of cleanser with water and message gently into skin using circular motions for 1-2 minutes. Then, remove with warm water.
- Target: Apply a thin, even layer of Serum Absolut Firming Collagen Booster all over your face
- Moisturize: Apply a thin, even layer of our Force Die Vie Creme Luxe all over your face, neck, and decollete.
- Lastly, apply the eye cream using the applicator.
And just like that, you will have healthy beautiful skin free of toxic ingredients! I hope this helps as you shop around ☺