We’ve all had days when things just aren’t going right, which got me thinking: There have been so many times when one random act of kindness has changed my day for the better. So here are 10 simple (but effective) things you can do for someone that might positively change their day:
1. Smile at someone – Anyone or everyone. This simple gesture holds the power to change someone’s day for the better.
2. Buy your bestie a coffee – Or your mom, dad, sibling, co-worker. They’ll love and appreciate the fact you took time out of your day to do something nice for them. And I guarantee they’ll never forget it!
3. Reach out to someone who needs it – In the age of social media it’s hard not to tell when someone is feeling down or struggling with something in their lives. Even if you haven’t spoken to them in awhile, reach out to someone who you think could use some support. Maybe they’re feeling sad or lonely, and one friendly voice goes a long way.
4. Write someone a note – In a digital world you should never underestimate the power of a handwritten note. Leave a sticky note for your significant other/roommate/co-worker, and I guarantee it will leave a smile on their face!
5. Compliment a complete stranger – We’ve all had moments when we’re out shopping or running errands and you can’t help but to notice the girl next to you is wearing the cutest shoes. So go ahead and give her a compliment!
6. Pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru – One day I was having a horrible start to my day, so I pulled through Starbuck’s hoping an iced coffee would help. To my surprise, the person in front of me paid for my drink and so I decided to pay for the person behind me. It’s made me feel all fuzzy inside and completely changed my mood!
7. Chat to someone in line – Okay this one can be difficult if you’re on the shy side like I am, but I promise it’s worth it. So swallow your fears for a few moments and initiate a conversation with your line-buddy. You never know who just needs someone to chat with!
8. Let someone cut in front of you on the road – Frankly, sometimes this one can be difficult, but next time someone turns on their blinker just let them move in instead of speeding up and watching them struggle in the rear view mirror. They’ll appreciate the favor and you will too when someone lets you cut in next time!
9. Give something away – This could be anything: money, clothes, food, compliments, advice. Last week I was stopped at a street light when I saw a homeless, pregnant women standing at the side of the road. I didn’t have any spare change, but I looked over at my big, fluffy scarf that I rarely ever wear and decided to roll down my window and hand it to her. The look of gratitude on her face was unforgettable, and it reminded me that others might need something more than we do.
10. Give more hugs – When you go see your friends, or your parents for dinner, or run into that old friend at the grocery store you haven’t seen for years…give them a hug!
Some things in life are out of control, and we can’t always fix someone’s day. BUT that doesn’t mean we can’t try! So if you’re searching for a little inspiration on how to perform a random act of kindness, I hope this helps!
Comment below and tell me some of your favorite ways to positively impact someone’s day, I would love to hear them!